Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Didn't you see the sign?

I had to work on President's Day, so I did something that I can never do on a normal day when I catch the 7:32. I parked in the near parking lot by the Merrick Theater. Typically, I park in the long lot to the west known as Timbuktu. Or, if I'm catching the 7:43 Timbukfour. As is often the case, my wife picked me up that night so I left the car to be used another day. When I picked it up on Thursday, there was a ticket. I looked around - there is no sign mentioning a time limit. The next day I checked - it's on the sign as you drive into the lot. This is the kind of gotcha scenario that one expects from places run by Republicans, so I checked. Sure enough, the town of Hempstead is run by Republican Kate Murray. I'm sure they get a nice income giving 70 dollar tickets to people who didn't read the sign. We have a system of monorails to the airport to encourage people to take public transportation to JFK. No doubt Kate Murray has a limo to take her wherever she wants to go, so this might not occur to her.

No comments: